Follow Me

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Simplistic Summer

Since I'm a teacher, I get the summers "off".
...because you know,
every elementary teacher carries
Truffula Trees around in her car
I use the word "off" loosely because everyone who is in the education profession knows that teachers work more than people think in the summers - between obtaining Professional Development hours, working toward certifications, attending trainings, and collaborating with colleagues about the upcoming school year. Nevertheless, I'm home more in the summer with my children than I am during the school year, so yes, I get them "off".

This summer, I find myself tighter on time than I expected to be. Both my boys have had countless appointments since school has gotten out. When I say countless, I literally lost count after 19 appointments within the month of June alone, and today is only the 20th. That averages about 6 appointments per week when you factor in that doctor's offices are only opened Monday through Friday. 
Craziness! 
Just thinking about it stresses me out. 

I'll talk about the boy's medical needs more another time. But not all at once - too much to process, and for some of it, we still don't have answers. 🙁

But, back to summer...😁

This summer, I also find myself tight on money. Medical bills have piled up from Jude's hospital visits, follow-up appointments and epilepsy medicine. (I mentioned about his diagnosis in my last post.) Jason (the hubs) and I are trying to tackle the debt Dave Ramsey style. (For those of you who don't know what that means, you can find more informational online about his Financial Peace program.) 

So, this summer, as I browse through Facebook, I cannot relate to the trips I see people taking. There'll be no week-stays at Disney, cruises to the Caribbean, or Vegas vacations. I'm not going to lie; as someone who loves to explore and travel, it's kind of a bummer. Instead of staying sad about it though, I realize that my family's 'fancy trip' day will come again. In the meantime, I'm determined to have a blast with my kids, even on a budget, and between all the appointments. 
Levi Jackson State Park
in London, Kentucky

putt-putt golf: $3 Jacob
Jude was free!
So, what do I do? I visit state parks with the kids. It costs nothing but the gas to get there, and you can even pack a picnic lunch. The best part was that my 7-year-old loved it! He actually tells people that I took him on the "best vacation in the woods!"
Gorgeous view and it's free to enjoy!

One day, I didn't feel like getting out. Some people function best when they are out and about, on-the-go.
I'm not one of these people. 🙎
At all. 🙅
But my kids are. 😏

So I just knew that I had to figure out a way to let them get their energy out without leaving the house.
My solution: I call it The Rocket Slide:



I used an old tarp we have, my husband's shaving cream, and added water. The boys played on it for what seemed like hours, and loved it.

Giggles are giggles, whether they're made on a luxury cruise, or on an old, wet, shaving cream coated tarp. Carpe Diem and Happy Simplistic Summering!

2 comments:

  1. Have you been to the new park at Jacobson? It's pretty fun....and free

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the boys like going there. We recently were there for Free Friday Flicks!

      Delete