Follow Me

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Meet My Crew

Name: Jacob
Age: 7 at the time I wrote this. 8 at the time it was updated.
Things I Like Best About Him: creativity, sense of adventure, musical ability
Things That Drive Me Crazy: 
messiness & being a picky eater
First up, my first born son. This handsome little fellow is 7 and is going to conquer the world one day. Ok, probably not, but when you talk to him, it sure does seem that way. The kid has an impressive vocabulary for his age! Academics, music, and rhetoric come easily for him, but it’s not really his fault.

You see, for four solid years, he’s the one who had Mommy and Daddy to himself. He’s the one whom I played Mozart every night for while I carried him in my tummy. He had a first-class ticket to museums, cultural events, the latest educational toys, and the undivided attention of two doting parents.

With only one child in the mix, I had more energy than I do now, and a different set of parenting standards that I placed on myself. I wanted the ‘best’ for my son, and defined the ‘best’ as the things mentioned above.

Now, let me make myself clear. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS STYLE OF PARENTING. I have friends who parent similarly and it works for them. It worked for me with Jacob, until another child came along...

For now with Jacob, my parenting has become seemingly more complicated. As he continues to grow, he’s gaining new interests and a totally different personality is beginning to take shape. He has to share my time and attention with his brother, which in turn, has created some hurdles. But, more on that at a later time. 

Name: Jude
Age: 3 at the time I wrote this. 4 at the time updated.
Things I Like Best About Him:
humor, athleticism, good eating habits
Things That Drive Me Crazy
toddler tantrums, bad sleeping habits, lack of communication that isn’t his fault

Meet Jude.  Yes, he's adorable, but don’t think for a minute that he doesn’t know it. Standing at only 36" high, this blonde hair, blue-eyed cutie will blow you a kiss, melt your heart, and steal your lunch, all in the same breath!  You know how some kids are very cautious, aware of their surroundings, and seek parental approval? Well, Jude is NOT one of those! He's a loud, feisty thrill-seeker who also gives the best hugs & kisses. 

Jude is basically nonverbal. He has excessive speech delays and spends an average of approximately four hours per week in speech therapy lessons. To date, he's had 80 hours of speech intervention since October 2016 alone!

Jude is also diagnosed with epilepsy. His dangerous seizures began suddenly in August 2016, and lasted as long as ten to fifteen minutes before medicine kicked in to make them cease. To this day, Jude continues to undergo various medical checkups and neurology visits at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. 

Name: Sandy
Age: 9 months at the time I wrote this. (Almost 2 years now)
Things I Like Best About Her: 
cuteness, doesn't ever bark, is good with the kids
Things That Drive Me Crazy: 
teething, the puppy stage

Sandy is my family's 9-month-old golden retriever puppy. After she finishes puppy classes, she'll start her training to become a therapy dog for Jacob and Jude. My husband and I had originally planned to take her through service dog training for Jude's epilepsy. But once Jacob was diagnosed with various medical conditions as well, we changed our minds and are gong to pursue the route of therapy training to accommodate both children. Her name means "Protector of Mankind" in Greek - the perfect name for such a special dog. 

The coolest fact about Sandy - she was born on the exact same day, at the same time that Jude was diagnosed with epilepsy! If that doesn't send cold chills down your spine, I don't know what will. She is truly God-sent and a beautiful addition to our family.


Last, but certainly not least, is the man I'm doing life with - my husband Jason. (Having all J names in the family greatly frustrates me on several occasions in case you were wondering. Anyway, that's beside the point.)

Jason and I have been married for almost 14 years. Some days it feels more like 25; other days it feels like 7. Regardless of the day and situation, it's nice to look back through life and realize that you can journey through life's joys and trials with someone at your side. 

Obviously, he's a huge UK fan (in case the shirt doesn't give it away 😏), sings like a rock star, and is good with technology. Don't let the picture below fool you; neither of us can dance, but we sure do enjoy trying. Jason is my best friend and the one I feel most comfortable with.

You may have noticed I didn't include what I dislike about him. Well, that's because our marriage isn't the specific focus of my blog. Marriage is hard enough without having it openly exposed for the world to see. And while we have our times of frustration (as every couple I know does), it's nice to have someone who "gets me", in my corner at the end of the day. 😍 He's been one of the biggest blessings in my life, and I need to acknowledge that more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment