Follow Me

Friday, July 14, 2017

5 Truths About Sensory Disorders

 Three years ago, as I was browsing Pinterest, I came across the following image. I told Jason that it described our son, Jacob, to a tee.  However, it wouldn’t be until three years later that he was flagged by a school occupational therapist as having a sensory disorder.

Photo courtesy of Google Images and found on Pinterest
Not only does Jacob have a sensory disorder, but so does our 3-year-old, Jude

Jude – Sensory Processing Dysfunction
Jacob – Sensory Modulation Disorder

Jude’s was much easier to identify than Jacob’s. Every since Jude could grab, he played nonstop with people’s fingernails, trying to bend them back. He sticks everything in his mouth even when he’s not teething. And, he gets overstimulated easily. These were all signs of a Sensory Processing Disorder.

The other day, I had a conversation with someone, trying to explain what it means to have sensory problems. It was tougher to explain than I thought it would be. So, here are 5 truths that as a mom, I think everyone should know about sensory disorders.

Truth #1 – You can be both a Sensory Seeker and Sensory Avoider at the same time. 

Jude is trying to get the sensory
input he needs by drinking
the pool water with his hands.
As a mom, I've learned to look
for these signs so I can implement
a Sensory Brain Break.
Yes, this sounded weird to me too. But this is the case with my both boys when they were tested by an occupational therapist (OT).  How can they be both? Well, it all depends on the situation and what the sensory triggers are in that given situation. In Jude’s case, he may need the sensory input of chewing on a teething necklace (seeking sensory) at the same time as needing personal space and not wanting to be touched (sensory avoiding).

Truth #2 – Sensory meltdowns can happen at any time, any place. 

My boys tend to get overstimulated at times. When this happens, they have what resembles to be BIG temper tantrums. The sad truth is that they cannot just “snap out of it” or “get a grip”. During these meltdowns, the brain has a mind of its own. (No pun intended.) 

The last sensory meltdown Jacob (age 7) had was on the first night of Vacation Bible School at our church. The transitions, crowds, and loud noises were enough to set him off. His meltdown was awful. He cried one moment and got angry the next. He could not be consoled and even started acting out because he didn’t know how to “fix” what was happening to his brain during that meltdown. Days later, he even had an open discussion about it, felt remorse for his behavior, and articulated the problem. I’m blessed by the fact that Jacob has a large vocabulary and is able to express his feelings well when he reflects on his actions. However, that is not the case with Jude.

The last time Jude (age 3) had a sensory meltdown was yesterday at Meijer. I was ordering food at the hot meals counter, and Jude started screaming and covered his ears. In that moment, there was nothing I could do for him except to reassure him he would be ok and to remove him from that situation as quickly as I could. I could tell he was sensing sensory input because he tried to chew on anything he could grab – the cart handle, items nearby on a shelf, and his brother’s fingers. I had left his chewy at home. 
Jude's chewy necklace helps with sensory input.

Water play is one way my kids get
the sensory input that they need.

Truth #3 – Sensory “Brain Breaks” aren't only a great idea, but they’re much needed! 

Both boys’ OT recommend that we create moments when we incorporate different sensory input activities. For Jacob, we are creating a sensory bag with items that he can use anytime he feels that he needs the sensory input. Items include something for each of the five senses - from fabric swatches (touch), to peppermints (taste), to a Walkman (hear). (You get the idea.) For Jude, I’ve started finding time within the day to incorporate sensory play with him – Play-Doh, water play, and swinging on his playground. These brain breaks help lessen meltdowns and outbursts throughout the day.

Truth #4 – Sensory disorders affect EVERYTHING in
day-to-day life.
 

Food choices are based on texture. Clothes are chosen because of fabrics. Transitions at home, school, and in public are difficult. And don’t even get me started on the noises, crowds, personal space issues, and over-stimulation in an environment. All these things have to be taken into consideration when raising sensory-sensitive children. I used to think that Jacob was just being defiant when he wouldn’t eat most foods I served, or didn’t like the clothes I bought him. Now I know better. I wasn’t making choices based on his sensory needs.

Truth #5 – Parents and children need to be supported and not criticized. 

This is a huge truth for me because it hits home on the frequent basis. I don’t know how many times I’ve had people  (some I know; others are complete strangers) approach me after seeing the boys’ meltdowns and say things like: 
“My kids never acted like that. They always minded me.”
“Your kids need to see a belt. That’ll teach them to act out in public.”
“Someone needs a nap, or a spanking, or both.”
“You let your kids walk all over you.”

I didn’t need these comments at the time, and I don’t need them now. I know they come from a good place, where people are concerned. After all, it’s easy to fall into the mindset of “I’m a parent expert because I've raised kids”. However, what I have realized over time is that raising kids doesn’t make anyone a parenting expert when it comes to other people’s kids. I’ve learned to have more patience with my own children (even though I fall WAY short and am a hot mess most days) and that no matter what I’m witnessing in public, I don’t know what those families are going through behind closed doors. The last thing a struggling mom needs to hear from me is how I am a "better parent" than she is and how I seem to have all the answers.

Speaking from experience, it’s humiliating at times to be THAT mom that seems to have THOSE kids. It’s physically and psychologically draining as a parent. But, I’m slowly learning to hold my head high and persevere through it. As my boys grow, they’re going to continue to learn coping strategies that will help them get through their sensory meltdowns. They've come a long way, and will continue to grow. 

I firmly believe God put us all on this Earth to support one another and to encourage each another. I hope that I can continue to be an encouragement to other parents that I encounter in daily life, and in the classroom setting. 

Here’s a website I found that explains sensory problems in layman’s terms. I want to note that this is not an advertisement, nor am I being paid to post this link. This is just for those of you who wish to learn more about sensory disorders, because believe it or not, it affects more kids than we all realize.
http://sensationalkidsot.com.au/home/sensory-processing/
Recognizing the signs of sensory meltdowns has made a huge difference in how I connect with people. And that's a good thing. 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment